Kings goalie Quick says Habs’ Pacioretty among most underrated players in NHL

Max Pacioretty led the Canadiens in scoring last season with 37 goals and 67 points, but Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick still calls him one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

Contributing to Derek Jeter’s website — theplayerstribune.com — under the headline Elite Snipers 101: Part 2, Quick writes about Pacioretty:

“When I think of Max, I think of the most underrated player in the NHL. Only three players have scored more goals than him over the past three seasons — and these aren’t all pretty power play goals. Most of his goals come in 5-on-5 situations where space is tight, and I know he had 10 game-winners last season. Max is similar to (the New York Islanders John) Tavares in the way he works in dirty areas. It blows my mind that he’s not talked about more because he’s such a great scorer.

“When you’re playing Max, you have to be very aware of his quick snapshot. He’s able to release the shot so quickly and with so much power that you have to know where it’s going ahead of time to have a chance to stop it. The thing that separates Max is that his shots are as accurate and consistent as you’re going to see in the NHL. He can pick a little sliver of space better than anyone, so if you’re deep in your net when he releases it, it’s game over.”

Pacioretty has also turned out to be a great bargain for the Canadiens, who signed him to a six-year, US$27-million contract extension in the summer of 2012. The contract, which pays Pacioretty an average of $4.5 million a year, runs through the 2018-19 season.

“This is something I wanted to get done,” Pacioretty told the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs after signing that contract. “I think once the team knew I wanted to get it done, they jumped on the opportunity as well.

“The biggest thing for me is, my career has been maybe plagued by instability and just to be able to call Montreal home for seven years is such an honour. I want to do whatever I can to help this team win and this will help me focus on that for years to come.”

Only four players in the NHL scored more goals than Pacioretty last season: Washington’s Alex Ovechkin (53), Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos (43), the New York Rangers’ Rick Nash (42) and the New York Islanders’ John Tavares (38). All four of them earned a lot more than Pacioretty — Ovechkin earned $10 million, followed by Stamkos ($8 million), Nash ($7.9 million) and Tavares ($6 million).

While Pacioretty might not be happy with his contract now, the fact is that the Canadiens took a risk on him staying healthy after he suffered a broken vertebra and serious concussion as a result of a brutal check by the Boston Bruins’ Zdeno Chara in March 2011. The Canadiens offered long-term security to Pacioretty and he took it.

The Canadiens are hoping Pacioretty will be ready to start the 2015-16 season after suffering a knee injury during an offseason workout on July 9. His recovery period was expected to be 12 weeks and the Canadiens open the season on Oct. 7 in Toronto.

(Photo by John Kenney/Montreal Gazette)

• Elite Snipers 101, Part 2, theplayerstribune.com

• Elite Snipers 101, theplayerstribune.com

• NHL announces media rights partnership with MLB, NHL.com

• Galchenyuk’s road to the NHL, canadiens.com

338 Comments

1. secretdragonfly says:

I am not usually a fan of Michael Landsberg but this article is very well written and very moving.

2. HabinBurlington says:

Patrick Kane appears to be creating some interest in his hometown of Buffalo again.

3. Cal says:

The longer summer goes on, the more the ugly side of HIO is being revealed. Okay, okay, I won’t perform that strip tease, then. Sheesh, no sense of humour ’round these parts.
    I see the end of the Canada-Russia “showcase” game ended with as much acrimony as yesterday’s flame war.
    One month until Labour Day and hockey gets serious. Oh, for a time machine…

• HabinBurlington says:

I’d like to think people can still be allowed to disagree with each other here.

Anyways it indeed is very quiet on the NHL front, those remaining UFA’s whom were expected to be gobbled up must now be starting to wonder just how small a contract are they willing to sign. (small being relative with todays crazy money)

• Cal says:

I hope so. Geez, the basis for good discussion is disagreement, no matter how slight or intense.
        The vets that haven’t performed or have demonstrated health problems- paging Dman Franson- will continue to see their market value plummet. Arizona will benefit from some cheap pick ups.

• Kooch7800 says:

Time flies way to fast already. Soon enough we will be back in full hockey mode!

For now, I am on here less until the preseason starts and will enjoy the outdoors and my other hobby… beer lol

Have a great week gentlemen

4. FenceSurfer says:

You know you’ve hit rock bottom when the only thing worthwhile watching at the hotel is the x men movie. Yikes. Columbus. Whatever. Deep purple and Nazareth played at the fair last night. Didn’t check to see who from the original lineup was in but I’m sure Blackmore wasn’t in so… didn’t bother. I can’t wait for Sunday when I move on to Tennessee. Good buy Ohio and good riddance.

5. FenceSurfer says:

I don’t care what the haters say about her “physique” Serena Williams is simply hot. I love watching her in her new commercial.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Which incarnation do you prefer though? After which round of cosmetic surgery do you think she hit it just right?

• FenceSurfer says:

She had cos surgery? You sure? I wouldn’t be surprised but I guess I’m either not very observant or my memory fails. I am getting older. She seems like she hasn’t changed much. Whatever it is she is a pleasure to watch.
        oh I forgot, my main point was the haters saying she looks like a man physique wise. She’s built robust yet I find her appealing. I like all types if put together well I guess. So cosmetics has no grounds in this debate. Wink wink.

• Marc10 says:

To be fair, they’re getting better with facelifts…

All that sun is hard on the skin, so to keep Serena looking her youthful self is a job well done.

Heck of a tennis player anyway you slice it though!

• Kooch7800 says:

She is quite the athlete and is in a league of her own physically

6. aHabberlikeyous says:

Sup HIO! Just sayin… on this site i really couldnt care about anybody’s opinion outside of sports, let alone hockey. I get it that were all itching for MB’s next move and for training camp to happen, but this is a site for everyone whos a Habs fan (and hockey fan to a larger extent)!!! And i think theres not a whole lot of posters who keep that in mind before posting.

Thought id put that out there!

7. HabinBurlington says:

Interesting list, by sweater number worn 00 thru 99 the best player for each number. Yes Timo of course MAB makes the list, but Brian Cambell over DD?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hot takes:

#9: Gordie Howe. Yeah, but no.

#12: Jarome Iginla over Yvan Cournoyer? Come on…

#16: Brett Hull over Henri Richard I can be talked into, I guess… Um, maybe not.

#19: Steve Yzerman wasn’t bad at all, but that’s Larry’s number.

#28: Steve Larmer over Pierre Larouche? Lucky Pete scored way more, on and off the ice.

#32 is an absolute crying shame. I’d give it to Travis Moen over that guy.

#44: Glad he got it, but I’m surprised Stéphane Richer got this one, I thought there would be a newer player who wore this and had success, it’s kind of a glitzy sexy number.

#45: Aaron Asham. I guess at these higher numbers we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel, beyond the obvious 66, 77, 88, and 99.

#59: Clutching at straws. Roman Josi’s been in the league three years.

#67: A few more seasons and maybe Max makes this a famous number.

#75, 76, 79: Good that those numbers are represented by the titans of defence for the Canadiens, Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban and Hal Gill.

#98: Brian Lawton, the ‘Can’t Miss Kid’ as christened by Sports Illustrated. He was drafted 1st overall, chose his jersey number. SI commented: “Nice touch, kid.” A few years later, when things weren’t going his way, he quietly changed to a nondescript 25 or something like that. Maybe Lou Lamoriello has a point when he forbids vanity numbers, why add pressure on yourself when you’re starting in the league.

8. Timo says:

Lol, just read that Habs raised ticket prices by 25%.
    That’s Geoff Molson giving the game back to people for ya…

• The Jackal says:

Is that true bud?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• PONCH says:

So Timo. How many games you been to lately? The increase in prices hurting the ole pocket book are they?

To be a Hockey Fan is to be a Habs Fan

• Lapointe says:

Timo we all pay a certain amount to ALL these price increases through one product or another. Companies buy season seats and pass that on to customers….athletes get endorsements and the sponsor passes that on to customers….Jeoff Molson just passed his bit on to the customer and even if you never in your life go to the actual game guess what unless you can stop all spending on everything you will pay a portion of that increase. I mean you are still going to eat, drink and be merry I assume. Well there is a company that will charge a bit extra for that product because they have to pay the increase in season ticket prices that Geoff just pushed through. No one escapes these things. Last year Rogers put CI package up by 50$ a year.

9. The Jackal says:

Is it time for the Preds to trade Weber away?
    Would Weber for Malkin be a good trade for both teams?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Scott_85 says:

There was an article on puck daddy a few days ago that suggested that trading him would be a shrewd move. Not sure if NAS will pull the trigger, but I wouldn’t be that surprised.

I think that would be a fair trade, though I’d prefer trading Malkin for lower AAV pending UFA(s) and 1 or more first round picks from a likely lottery team if I were managing Pitt. They can attract UFAs fairly easily if/when they need them and they lack prospect depth, so my plan would be to grab as many high picks as possible in the next year or two.

10. Timo says:

Argh… a buddy of mine in Mtl got to meet Lori Graham… the bastard! I will never talk to him again.

• Marc10 says:

What was the verdict?

I once saw Claudia Schiffer (back in the day when she was CLAUDIA SCHIFFER) and was left feeling a bit let down.

There’s good looking and then there’s good looking without the photoshop treatment.

11. Slack says:

twi, much obliged my man!

———————————————————
    “…press number seventeen for service in the language of les maudits anglais, or number twelve for service en français, the glorious language of our oppressed collectivity.”

12. Chris says:

I’ve always had a bit of a beef with the “scoring chance” methodology on some advanced stats sites. The frequent definition is a unimpeded shot on net within a region of ice defined by a typical player’s shot speed and a typical goaltender’s reaction time. This sounds plausible and logical.

The beef arises from the lack of context. For example, a dribbler along the ice is recorded as a scoring chance so long as it originated within the previously defined sweet spot in the slot. But that shot isn’t really a scoring chance, even on an 11 year old house league goaltender.

Meanwhile, a PK Subban or Shea Weber one-timer rocket from the blue line through a screen is only a scoring chance if it goes in. So some subjectivity is permitted to prevent the numbers from being criticized as they likely deserve, but nothing is usually done to remove the crap shots from the slot that really weren’t scoring chances.

For a supposedly advanced statistic, the context is critical. I understand the aversion to subjective calls in assembling these data sets, but it is justified subjectivity.

• twilighthours says:

No doubt.

But recording this data over a season’s worth of games is still revealing.

Until the NHL stat-keepers get more detailed with how they record attempts, it’s as good as we’ve got. Unless you want to watch all 1200ish games are report back to us? 😉

• Kooch7800 says:

I always had lots of scoring chances but was blessed with hands of stone . I am sure my scoring chance stats would have been high but goals…not so much

13. PK says:

Hey Ian, good game with lots of runs tonight. 9-7 for the Jays, as we speak. You never know what can happen if the team gets into the playoffs. One could argue that this is even more applicable in baseball than hockey.

14. Ian Cobb says:

Blue Jays are putting up a lot of runs. We went to the Sunday game when Donaldson was hit and brushed back twice. Bull pens even emptied onto the field. No punches thrown, but I would have like the umpire to have caught a swat on the nose.
    Another great game tonight, going back to watch. It sure looks like they can make some noise in the play-offs this year.!

15. kirkiswork says:

Habs raise season tickets in blue section 24%. Better the section less the percentage…..still Holy cow. No advance notice just s bill on the mail…from the Gazette

• habs001 says:

As long as people are willing to pay these prices tickets will keep going up…Someone has to pay the salaries…there are many players in the NHL that get in 2 years what 90% of the general population will not make in a lifetime..

• ProHabs says:

And the Scott Gomez buyout fund thanks you.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have to think that the Canadiens see what their low-ish prices for tickets get upgraded to on StubHub and Craig’s List, and they adjusted their prices accordingly. Why let scalpers pocket the difference, they must be thinking.