Galchenyuk says short-term deal was ‘good way to go’

PAT HICKEY
MONTREAL GAZETTE

Alex Galchenyuk was the last Canadiens player to come to terms on a contract this summer, but he doesn’t understand the angst over the prolonged negotiations.

“It didn’t take that long at all because we’re not even in August,” Galchenyuk said Friday morning during a conference call from his off-season training base in Miami. “I changed agents and then I went back to Russia for three weeks, and with the time difference I didn’t speak to (new agent Pat Brisson) a lot. Once I got back to Montreal, everyone went pretty quickly.”

The result was a two-year bridge deal worth US$5.6 million. It’s similar to the deal defenceman P.K. Subban signed coming off his entry-level deal following the 2011-12 season. Subban signed for $5.75 million over two seasons at that time before cashing in last summer with an eight-year deal worth $72 million.

Galchenyuk said both he and Brisson agreed that a short-term deal was “a good way to go.”

While an average of $2.8 million per season isn’t chump change, Galchenyuk said he knows what he has to do to earn a raise in 2017.

“It’s as simple as going out there on the ice and help the team and see what happens in two years,” the 21-year-old said.

Brisson became Galchenchuk’s agent after the player fired Hall of Famer Igor Larionov. Galchenyuk was reluctant to discuss the change other than to say he and Larionov had “different views.”

In retrospect, Galchenyuk said he was confident he made the right decision.

Larionov suggested Galchenyuk was unhappy with his ice time and the way coach Michel Therrien was using him, but Galchenyuk refused to get drawn into the debate over whether he should be playing left wing or centre.

“It doesn’t matter to me,” he insisted. “I’m happy to be in Montreal for two more years and it’s up to the coaches and trainers to decide where to use me.”

Galchenyuk has increased his production in each of his three seasons in Montreal and is coming off a 20-goal season. But he stopped short of setting statistical goals for next season.

“As long as I’ve played, I’ve never set goals for points,” he said. “You have to prepare yourself to stay healthy and be in the right mindset. I expect to have a great year and I can’t wait to get started.”

Galchenyuk noted that expectations are always high in Montreal, but he expects the Canadiens to have another good season.

“We’re up there with the top teams, but we have to compete hard and prove ourselves again,” he said. “We’re a confident group and good young players and great leaders and we have (goaltender) Carey Price.”

Galchenuyuk added that he is looking forward to playing with free-agent acquisition Alexander Semin, who signed a one-year,$1-1-million contract with the Canadiens after scoring only six goals last season and being bought out by the Carolina Hurricanes this summer.

“I met him right before he signed,” Galchenyuk said. “I was at the (Canadiens) kids’ camp and he was with his agent in the dressing room. When I came off the ice, I heard he had signed. I’m happy for him. He’s a skilled player and I think it will work out well.”

The signing means general manager Marc Bergevin goes into the season with about $3.5 million in cap space. That’s a comfortable cushion if the team needs to do some last-minute summer shopping or if Bergevin feels the need to add a rental next spring.

(Photo by John Mahoney/Montreal Gazette)

• Galchenyuk conference call audio

• Mitchell has early morning surprise for kids at Brossard rink, montrealgazette.com

620 Comments

1. HabsWin-nipeg says:

An answer to Cal’s question below about why Winnipeg would want to trade Byfuglien for Plekanec and Emelin. The conversation out here regarding Buff is what to do when his contract expires at the end of this season. He will likely be looking for lots of term and money. Given that he will be 31 when his current contract ends, his size/physical style and his lack of conditioning, there is considerable concern for what kind of player he will be as a long term contract winds down – essentially will you be paying 8 million a year for a player who just doesn’t have it anymore (see Gomez, Scott). The feeling around here is if Winnipeg can get a decent return for Buff, they may just trade him, considering they have Trouba, Myers and other young D ready to take over. Would the Jets take Plekanec and Emelin for Buff? Don’t know. The bigger question for me is whether the Habs want to do this when confronted with the question above. If I knew we could sign Buff for 4-5 years even if we had to overspend a bit to get shorter term I would consider it, although I’d be a little concerned about losing Pleks as I think we would find out exactly how important he is to the team if he was gone. I’m not sure the Habs centre depth is great enough to absorb his loss. I’m not sure signing Buff to a contract that takes him into the 37-38 year old range is a good idea. That’s my two cents from here in Wpg.

• The Jackal says:

That’s important to consider. I wouldn’t want a 31 year old Buff getting paid 8 by 6 or something like that. Can’t take risks with those players after 31.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree. Although I dislike that part of sport, cap management is an important part of building a consistent winner. It only takes one of those type contracts you mention and viola, you got a mess on your hand. At least until after the next work stoppage when the owners can rescue themselves from themselves by more buyouts.

• Dust says:

If we have another work stoppage I would have to think its going to be because owners want non-guaranteed contracts. Then the rich owners can make plenty of mistakes.

2. shiram says:

Surprised this has not been mentioned yet, considering the baseball talk.

NHL and MLB agreement.

_________________________________________
    “The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears that this is true.”

• habstrinifan says:

Sounds like NHL tied themselves to the digital expertise of MLBAM. One shouldnt invent the wheel but one cant give away the apple cart either.

Will just have to see how it works out. Thanks for the link!

• shiram says:

From reading up a bit on this, there’s some good and bad.
        Web apps, lesser delays for streams,better websites are noted as possible improvements.

Some fear this will cut down some media content fans put on the net, youtube videos, stricter online policies and a bigger smackdown on illegal streams.

But for now, there’s not much we know.

_________________________________________

• twilighthours says:

I would happily, happily pay $250 a year for high quality, non-lagging streams with choice of broadcast feed. Then I could cancel cable.

Let’s see what comes of this.

• Cal says:

Hip-hip-hu-blah!

• shiram says:

Maybe this tidbit is more interesting.

@mirtle James Mirtle retweeted Sportsnet
        Salary cap boost in $2.5-million~ range when/if new revenues from this deal are added to HRR.

_________________________________________

3. JUST ME says:

Come on guys ! You fall for it every single time and every single time it`s a made up story. When you see the name Eklund mentionned in a rumor you should know better.

4. Timo says:

Did this big signing go unreported? I mean, this is huge… another 5’10” blue liner

5. Caesar says:

Buffs numbers are not that great but he passes the eye test. You seem to always know when he is on the ice. Plus he just can’t be a bruin. Would that trade make habs a top 4 contender?

6. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Any other Habs prospects at the WJC showcase besides Juulsen? Scherbak playing?

7. Timo says:

Buff man for Plekanec and Emelin? Yes please!
    But only if Michael Therrien can make him a better person. I hear Buff is not good in the room.

• Say Ash says:

Buff and Semin? MT will have a jammer.

• HabinBurlington says:

I would be willing to sweeten the trade and instead offer them what many tell me here is the best offensive center on the entire roster. Yes I would be willing to make it DD and Emelin, thus ensuring the Jets can feel as though they have won the trade in acquiring a true #1 offensive minded center.

• The Jackal says:

You jest but it wouldn’t even be a bad trade for the Jets.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Slack says:

Shhhhh…. DD sux.

———————————————————
          “…press number seventeen for service in the language of les maudits anglais, or number twelve for service en français, the glorious language of our oppressed collectivity.”

• The Jackal says:

Oh right, forgot about the #1 HIO rule.

The second rule is: if this is your first time on HIO, you gotta bash DD or MT.

At the bottom of the HIO rulebook there’s a footnote that says DD and MT are temporary scapegoats and that new scapegoats will be chosen when they are no longer with the team. Disclaimer: they are not bad, we just need scapegoats.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

8. Slack says:

In regards to the Byfuglien rumors below… There’s a rumor floating around that the Bruins may be interested… That would break my heart man… MB…. Its me, Slackman…. Please dont let the dastardly Bruins acquire the next great Hab….

———————————————————

• Imagine, the big buff was selected in the 8th round, 245th by Chicago… How did 29 other teams miss that 6’5″ 260 behemoth (obviously he hadn’t filled out then, but still…).

Besides Slack, imagine MT with Buff and Semin on the team. There would be a mutiny or MT would quit because they won’t want to play his “system”!

I’m really pissed! 22 years and counting…

9. JohnBellyful says:

Wishing to remain a member in good standing at HIO and in need of direction as to how I should govern my emotions over the next five years in following the Canadiens, I wonder if you might indulge me with your guidance as to how we fans should feel in response to the following scenarios, using the range of emotions I have provided (I’ll leave it to you to chose which event is likely to occur each year, and thus what the collective reaction should be):

a – ecstatic
    b – well pleased
    c – satisfied
    d – unmoved
    e – disappointed
    f — outraged
    g — prescient

Year One

1.) Habs make playoffs, fail to advance past first round __
    2.) Habs make playoffs, lose in second round __
    3.) Habs make playoffs, lose in conference final __
    4.) Habs make playoffs, win conference title, lose Cup Final __
    5.) Habs win Cup Final __

Now make your choices for Years Two, Three, Four and Five (this really would help me maintain my emotional equilibrium in what are sure to be troubling times, as we prepare for the possibility of another lockout).

Now all of us, with few exceptions, would be overjoyed if Montreal were to match the team’s feat of five straight Cups in the ’50s, but I don’t see that happening (then again, I might not be giving Mitchell, Smith-Pelly and Flynn their full due).
    Here, then, are my own predictions (and responses, appropriate or otherwise; remember, I’m wanting to know if they’re in accord with what is right and proper as determined by the commentariat):

Year One: 2 D
    Year Two: 2 E
    Year Three: 3 C
    Year Four: 4 B
    Year Five: 5 A! [Or should I have added another state of mind: H — Delusional?]

Edit: Alternatively, anything short of a championship could trigger a response of either disappointment or outrage but the question is being framed in terms of realistic expectations of the team’s performance.
    Or something like that …

• habstrinifan says:

See you just proved MT’s point. This post has too much originality; free thinking; variances;things to consider.

Stick to the system… and is easy.

&infin PRICE &infin

• Det. Sgt. Jocko says:

It’s a consistent D for me unless the Habs win the cup, then it is about three months of A, before going back to a D again.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

10. on2ndthought says:

I’m very disappointed in the young Galchenyuk. Before his signing we had a month of speculation about if he was ever going to play for MT again, was his family playing Russian Roulette with the young prospect.? Then he signs and gives this very mature interview; what is HIO to do???

Oh… OK, lets go back to DD….

“a cannonading drive”

11. Psycho29 says:

OMG!! Do you think this is true?!?!?!!?

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat · 13m ago

NHL RUMOUR: Eklund reporting that the Montreal Canadiens are interested in Byfuglien in exchange for Plekanec and Emelin

• Cal says:

It’s Eklund. That should answer any question you have about this rumour. 😉

• Chris says:

Not even remotely.

• habstrinifan says:

Examining the HABS roster as it stands, including prospects just on the fringe and ‘questionable regulars’, you wont do the trade?

• Slack says:

I think he just doesn’t think it’s true… But good question….Chris, would you do it?

• habstrinifan says:

I do not know if it is true. But I would do the trade.

It immediately updates our offense(By plays both ends of the ice ) clears up a logjam on defense; allows insertion of a rookie forward into the lineup.

Adds a huge deal of versatility and play in the lineup. And hastens the need for one of our youngsters to step up and begin replacing Pleks D.

I like.

• Gehlsen says:

I would do it in a heart beat.

Les Habitant!

• Slack says:

If the guy can be right only once, let this be that time.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW… I am surprised… happily!

• Slack says:

Why? I’m a big fan of big Buff… He’s my favorite non-Hab… I would absolutely love to see him don the CH!

12. Hobie says:

I’ve been a Blue Jays fan since my pops took me to old Exhibition Stadium as in kid in 1984. I actually saw the Jays play 15 or so times before going to my first Habs game in 1988.

I’ve always been a Jays guy in the summer and Habs in the winter.

There’s lots of room on the bandwagon though folks. Jump on board!

Let’s Go Blue Jays!
    Go Habs Go!!!

• PK says:

I like that outlook, Hobie:

Jays in the summer – David Price had quite the outing yesterday.
      The chase is on for that wild card spot.

Also, Habs in the winter? Winter is coming.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• HabinBurlington says:

I was a huge Expos fan, after watching them clearout all the players in 95 you could see the writing on the wall. Then came in Loria and you could see there was an alternative plan from the new owners of the Spos. Broke my heart.

MOved to Toronto(edit, Oakville and Burlington, could never live in Toronto) in 94 and every time I go to a Jays game I wear my Spos hat. Has taken me a long time to warm up to the Jays. I can’t stand their ownership, but I am a sports junkie and that includes baseball in the summer.

I won’t call myself a diehard Jays fan, as quite simply they aren’t in my heart like the Spos were. But I am a fan, and it is baseball which I love watching.

Unfortunately I am also willfully ignorant, hopefully not as ignorant as that Pollack guy who went from being a GM of the Habs to Chairman and CEO of the Jays, but somewhere in the middle.

13. hattrick99 says:

The Yankees will crush the hopes and dreams of all blow jays fans.

14. Un Canadien errant says:

I thought Sean McIndoe might finally be on vacation after a very long season, but no, here’s his latest piece:

…and a hilarious take by a proud American class-warrior on the demise of Hitchbot.

———————————————————————–
    Free Antonio Gates!

• shiram says:

I read that one this morning, and the cap hit one stuck out as one that will likely be broken, given enough time.

_________________________________________

• HabinBurlington says:

He did take a break a few weeks back, in fact one of the articles you linked was actually by somebody filling in for him.

• Gehlsen says:

My wife aunt is part of the group who developed and works with Hitchbot. Very excited for their accomplishments.

Les Habitant!

15. shiram says:

Quick on snipers, including Pacioretty.

_________________________________________

• FormalWare says:

My god. That third-period go-ahead goal from Patches. Scary!

Thanks for the reminder of the jewel we have in Max.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

16. Mavid says:

HIO name tags mmcgill7@sympatico.ca
    Include real name, HIO name, were your from (including guests)

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

17. shiram says:

On the picture up top, the light flash on the right of the bench looks like a flour-ey derriere print.

That’s all I got, have a great day.

_________________________________________

18. Strabo says:

How did Noah Juulsen do in the game last night?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

19. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

The time was right for the Jays to strike. They began lobbying major League baseball to punt the Expos out of the highly populous and lucrative southern Ontario broadcast region, making it exclusive Blue Jays territory. Charles Bronfman pleaded Montreal’s case with the league.
    “I spoke to Bowie Kuhn and said, ‘Look. If you don’t permit us to televise across the country-we’re Canada’s team right now-what you’re going to do is ghettoize us, and we’ll become just the French team, and the Blue Jays will become the national team, ‘” Bronfman said. “This is contrary to every goddam reason I agreed to own the Expos. I did it to integrate Quebec into Canada. Now you’re gonna ghettoize us, to separate Quebec?”
    Kuhn offered a compromise: the Expos could broadcast 15 games a year into southern Ontario. Bronfman resisted, telling the commissioner that the Expos would get as many games as broadcast partners wanted to show on their airwaves. Kuhn shot back that they would do no such thing.
    …Chalk it up to the Jays shrewdness, the Expos rolling over, an inevitable decision once Toronto got its own franchise, or all of the above. Whatever the case, Kuhn’s decision ravaged the Expos franchise, causing more long-term harm, arguably, than Blue Monday or anything else that happened on the field. (pgs. 213-214: Up, Up, and Away by Jonah Keri)

• habstrinifan says:

I was upset with the vigour with which you blasted HIO’s Jays aficionados. But you redeemed yourself with this post. The fratricidal stance of the Blue Jays owners was revealed so long after the fact that public condemnation was muted.

As a fan of the HABS, I do take some of the main points of your post and relate it to hockey. And when I do, my disappointment with the current Hab’s focus on mediocre (unexciting) hockey bubbles to the top.

Bronfman was right re wanting his viewership and thus fan base to be expanded beyond Quebec. The ‘Canadiens’ became more than Montreal, more than Quebec. And this despite the national media (read Toronto). And how did they do this. By playing a brand of hockey which separated themselves from the rest. When you saw a Montreal team skate you had WOW factor and unbelievable artistry. And not even the noisy and non-stop prattle of the ‘national(Toronto) media could stop that image of the Canadiens taking hold in the minds of hockey fans everywhere. Far from being a ‘Quebec’ team, Montreal became an icon of a style of hockey.

It is a legacy which the current HABS are changing and abandoning…(if not destroying)…. and it will be to their detriment.

The many cultural, political, social, business corollaries that follow are too many too examine in one post.

Another lesson that an be drawn from your post is the demise of a real Catholicism for sport in the populace when the “big dog’ (read Canadiens) do not contribute towards the nurturing of support for the entire species (read Alouettes CFL, Soccer Impacts ). And in this area the Canadiens have been sorely lacking.

Yours is a wonderful post which can provide much food for thought re the ‘business’ of sport.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d forgotten this passage in the book, but it reminded me at the time of the ‘Beer Wars’ between the Nordiques/O’Keefe and the Canadiens/Molson in the eighties and access to the TV airwaves.

Nowadays, there’d be no need for such blackouts and limits. Just TSN and Sportsnet have a multitude of channels, and hours of airtime to fill in the summer, it would be senseless for MLB to limit options like that. If I’m an Expos fan in the Toronto region, or vice-versa, why antagonize me with blackouts, instead of giving all the baseball I could want?

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I was a little harsh, admittedly.

• Habfan10912 says:

It’s a great book. Thank you for the recommendation. Many of the early years ramblings are bringing back wonderful memories and others I’ve forgotten.

I’m really enjoying the read even though I’m not a huge fan of sports books. This one is different. Thanks a lot DDH.

• Coach K says:

Like many here, I do not wish ill toward the Jays but once the Expos left I stopped watching baseball. There was nothing like attending games on the 1st and 3rd base lines at ground level at the cavernous old Big Owe. Getting the chance to grab a photo with the “Kid” in the background during warmup while almost standing on top of the dugout or jawing with the relief pitchers as they warmed up in the bullpen was priceless.

That was the only time baseball mattered to me. Miss those days…

-“Anything is possible … if you don’t know what you are talking about”-

• Un Canadien errant says:

Same here, went to many games, a few in the heyday of the “Team of the Eighties” phase, and later, including when the crowds were sparse and we could move right down to the front after a couple innings.

I still wince at what a drunken tool I was. One difficult game when we were getting blown out, Joe Hesketh took the bullet for the team and worked a number of middle relief innings and got shelled, but stayed in, there was no point putting in another pitcher and tiring him out in a lost cause.

And I heckled poor Joe. And he could hear me. You could see how much he was struggling but trying to tough it out. Not one of my best moments. If I ever could, I’d grovel to him and apologize for being a know-nothing teenager.

And now I make a point of NOT watching baseball. I’ll watch Jeopardy or “Alone in the Wilderness” for the thousandth time instead.

• Cal says:

I hated the Big Owe for baseball. Actually, I hate it for every sport. World’s most stupid stadium. I remember Jarry Park. None of the seats were bad as opposed to all of them at the Big Owe.
        I was a 10 year-old watching from just behind the catcher. It was awesome. Then, the horrific move to a colossal hunk of concrete junk. I hated the sight lines, but I went because the Expos had greats like Dawson and Grissom. I stopped going in 1994, when MLB conspired to rid themselves of the Expos.

Despite all the pleasant noises about MLB returning, it won’t. The billion dollars required to build a decent stadium will leave any prospective owner out of the loop and leave us footing the bill, just like the Big Owe- finally paid off 35 years after the Olympics. Besides, taxes should go to worthwhile things, like roads that don’t belong in the time of the horse and buggy.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I went to a couple of Brewers games last year to see Miller Park and boo the Blue Jays but other than that, since MLB killed my Expos, I will not watch MLB. F ’em and all loser teams from Toronto.

When everyone’s thinking the same … it’s likely no one’s thinking at all.

20. Marc10 says:

I’ll chime in. Good luck to the Jays. TO is where I learned to love baseball with Dave Stieb on the mound and Bell, Barfield and Moseby in the outfield. Great teams.

My allegiance switched to the Expos when we moved back to Montreal, but I always kept an eye on the Jays.

That all ended in 94. I won’t ever watch baseball again until it returns to Montreal. But good luck to the Jays all the same.

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

You that ‘know Me’ realize I have been rather harsh with everything associated with The Land Of Bland, Turranna.

I have not visited Turranna for now going-on 30+ years, yet My alergy to all encompassing Turranna has been a juvenile part of My Montreal DNA since I was a very young Habs Fan.

I simply have fun slagging Turranna. It’s no more complicated than that.

If there was a possibility there could be anything redeeming about Turranna, certainly it is only because of all the money and people that rolled towards it on the highway from Montreal.

Completely unfair I know. Or, at least, partially unfair.

I won’t change as loathing Turranna has been too much fun over the decades.

All that said, though, I am a Blue Jays fan.

Go figure.

At least until the Expos return 🙂

• FenceSurfer says:

Turranna? Where the F that is I don’t know, but I’m smack down in the middle of Columbus this last week till next and I’m dreaming for the never to return exit. As for the blue Jays I bailed on MLB the minute fraud art dealer sold the expros to MLB only to bamboozle Miami for a stadium. I lost interest to the point I seriously doubt I ever root for the expros even if they return. And this is coming from a hard core fan for years. I actually rooted for the Habs early exit so fans would draw at the O. Weird.5

Expros was not a typo.

22. NightRyder says:

Gord Miller believes Zach Fucale will suit up for Hamilton this year.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Why would Fucale play in Hamilton, when the Habs’ AHL-affiliate is in Newfoundland?

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

23. NightRyder says:

Do the networks really believe we want attractive women anchors delivering us the sports highlights?

• Lafleurguy says:

Javier Bardem says, “You know the answer.”

• NightRyder says:

Of course we want attractive women providing us with the highlights.
        But a member of the fairer sex just asked me how come all the women anchors are so attractive, but the dudes can be snaggle-toothed greaseballs with speech impediments.
        So I had to offer a sombre nod and acknowledge the apparent disparity.

• Bim says:

To funny Night Ryder. I get where you’re coming from…or you’d be a dead man! Lol!

• Coach K says:

I thought it was rather kind of the “member of the fairer sex” to even acknowledge the presence of the likes of Kypreos and Stock. She went above and beyond IMO.

-“Anything is possible … if you don’t know what you are talking about”-

24. Lafleurguy says:

Being from Edmonton, and a fervent Eskimos fan, I despised the villainous Alouettes in the Marv Levy, Nelson Skalbania, Ordinary Superstar, Sonny Joe Wade Barnes, Junior Ah-You, Wally Buono, Tom Cousineau, Fred Biletnikoff, Vince Ferragamo days. To clarify, those Alouettes were parts of great teams (even Skalbania). Nostalgically, Sonny Homer stretching out horizontally to catch a Carroll Dale pass was the first great catch my kid-eyes had ever seen. Very S.K. Green-like.

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

Does it make me less of a Hab fan if I cheer for TFC over the Impact ? 🙂

26. NightRyder says:

I am watching hockey on Aug. 3.
    I am a degenerate.

27. habs001 says:

Many posters on this site who are Hab fans are not from Montreal so there is no reason for them to care for other Montreal teams…Go Vikings…

28. Lafleurguy says:

Big center? Had one in Andreas Engqvist, best Swedish name since Mats Naslund. A cautionary tale from his good AHL stats one year:
    2011-12 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 60 20 23 43 36 0 –.

Barberio apparently had good AHL stats, so cautious optimism regarding Charles Hudon, and Daniel Carr.

29. Ian Cobb says:

BELL Center Letter For The Summit

Hi Ian,

The tours of the Bell Centre (from my understanding) will still be available. However, the format will be different. In the past, when you visited, you would do both the Hall of Fame and Bell Centre tour.

As it stands now, the Hall of Fame will be permanently closed as of September 1st, thus, this makes it impossible for a Hall of Fame visit.

Moreover, the rates of our Bell Centre guided tours will be changing. The rates (although not 100% confirmed yet) will be 24$ per adult and 14$ per youth.

Seeing as you will be a group of more than 20 people, you would have a group rate which would be 20$ per adult and 12$ per youth.

There will no longer be a discounted rate for those who have game-tickets, unfortunately.

I will ask for the morning skate, however, I cannot guarantee this as it is up to the visiting team’s discretion and we would have to get the OK from the proper channels. I will look into it.

I can also waive the fee for Alex and his family. Please introduce him to us once he has arrived on-site.

I will also keep you posted as to the starting point of our Bell Centre tour. As you can imagine, at this stage there is still alot to be determined.

Thanks again,

Alexander

[http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canadiens/images/upload/2013/09/club_signature.jpg]

Alexander Seguin
    Superviseur, Temple de la renommée
    Supervisor, Hall of Fame
    Canadiens de Montréal

30. NightRyder says:

Yes or no:

1. Price and Plekanec for Malkin and Fleury?
    2. Price for McDavid?
    3. DD, Plekanec, Emelin, Tinordi, Fucale and two No. 1’s for the Sedins?
    4. Galchenyuk and McCarron for Malkin?
    5. Therrien for Hartley?

• ProHabs says:

Honestly, for me, it is a sweep of noooooooo.

• NightRyder says:

I’d do 2 and 5 in a heartbeat; think a little about 3 and then be happy DD was going; probably do 4 but worry about depth; and probably pass on 1 because Fleury scares me.

• ProHabs says:

We have absolutely no depth in net after Price. Would be a disaster to even consider trading him right now. Maybe if we had someone waiting in the wings (perhaps Fucale) in a couple of years then you could entertain trading Price but it would be a nightmare going back to have an average/below average goaltender. Remember the Jocelyn Thibeau days.

• NightRyder says:

Goaltending keeps getting better and better.
            You can find a Corey Crawford, Antti Niemi, Cam Ward etc. and win a Cup. Finding generational scoring talents isn’t so easy.
            I’d certainly trade the next five years of Price for the next 15 years of McDavid.

• govenah says:

I am with Night Ryder.

Habba Dabba Do!

• JUST ME says:

1-no
      2-nope
      3-noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
      4-naaaaahhh!
      5-Hartley does not have the balls to deal with a big market like MTL. Good coach,perfect guy for the job in Calgary.Happy for him.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

HECK NO
      idk

31. Caesar says:

FWIW I loved the Expos. I try to watch the Jays but can’t. Price is an incredible talent and I’ve thought so since he was called up to play for the rays.

Good for Toronto to get such an amazing player.

32. ProHabs says:

Has Jared Tinordi or Greg Pateryn ever played center before. Perhaps with the traffic jam of defencemen on the team, one of them might be the big center we have been looking for for years.

33. FormalWare says:

For the record, I cheered equally for the Expos – while they existed – as for the Blue Jays. I have never been a Torontonian or a Montrealer – though I do consider Montreal to be the more interesting city. I am a Canadian. There is now only one Canadian MLB team left for me to cheer for.

I won’t apologize for supporting the Jays. I will, however, soft-pedal my cheerleading. As someone pointed out, this ain’t BJI/O – and the point is taken.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Kooch7800 says:

Go Jays Go

• PK says:

Do you think that the Jays will make some noise going into Sept?
      Could they really be playoff-bound this year?
      Wild card?

Jays in the playoffs would be fun … while we wait for the hockey season to start.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• FormalWare says:

I think the Jays can reel in the Yankees. The two 3-game series against them, coming up, should be telling.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• habstrinifan says:

An unfortunate capitulation to the jingoism of those who cloak stupidity with pretense of loyalty to a city.

• FormalWare says:

I had some thoughts along those lines, too, Trini. But I’ve decided I want to respect the feelings of those for whom the loss of the Expos cut much closer to the bone than it did for me.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• The Jackal says:

Jingoism is an interest choice word for criticizing comments criticizing the BJs. It’s just baseball and TO is stinky and boring 😛

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Slack says:

Jingoism? Now that’s a stretch

• twilighthours says:

Agreed. I’d have gone with chauvinism.

• Slack says:

Maybe you can elaborate in that… Chauvinism is a an odd choice of terms when you consider that it’s widely accepted as short-form for male chauvinism…

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

So “jingoism”, “stupidity” and “pretenses of loyalty” have no place in being a fan of a professional sports team? I guess you never saw the Habs play the Nordiques at the Forum or the Colisee.

• Lafleurguy says:

Their loyalty to their city has more pretentiousness than insincerity, but I get your drift, all pretensions aside.

• twilighthours says:

When it comes to phrase-turning, you are unequalable.

• Forum Dog says:

“I’ve pitched on, um, in – in quite a few, you know, big, um, I guess big games. But that atmosphere today you know, that – that takes the cake. That was……I’ve never experienced anything like that. That was cool”.

Great quote. Not a Torontonian, but that is an impressive statement given the teams and situations Price has pitched in, and says something about the reception he has received.

Good to see that the Jays again have an ace. The other SPs will feed off that and the bullpen is solidified as well. Power and run production all through the lineup, if they can get any pitching they will be playoff bound for the first time in like 20 years. GO JAYS!!!

PS: Love the Galchenyuk signing. Good money, good term. They put him at centre with good wingers and he is a near lock for 60+ points as a 21-22 year old.

• habcertain says:

Cheer as loud and as long as you want for the Jays, those who have issues, just need to get over it.

• JUST ME says:

Lost all interest in baseball when the Expos left (actually they were still here but the ownership drove us away…). Then i noticed this A.A. guy a montrealer that loves baseball, comes in MTL with a few players and is a genuine baseball fan. And since we were exposed to most Jays games on Sportsnet, the spark came back and i became a timid Jays fan.
      They look like they are going all in this season, have been strong for a few years now but are playing in a tough division. Hope for the best in 2015 !

• Lafleurguy says:

Love the Blue Jays. Kelly Gruber and Carlos Delgado all time faves.
      Loved the Expos more. Tim Wallach, Ellis Valentine, Steve Rodgers all time faves.
      Weird that weird has “e” before “i”….oh sorry, meant to write weird it’s okay to cheer Chargers, Steelers, Liverpool, but not Blue Jays on HIO.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

“I’m fighting like hell to get a franchise for Toronto,” (John)McHale said in 1975, as talks for that city heated up. “It would be great for us up here in Montreal”.
        What McHale might’ve seen as an opportunity for a healthy rivalry or a chance to further stoke baseball fervour in Canada to the benefit of the Expos, turned out to be something completely different altogether. The Blue Jays in fact would eventually help kill the Expos. (P.212 from Up,Up, and Away” by Jonah Keri)

34. Habfan17 says:

@ Haberoooo13
    I don’t agree, Gilbert is the only righty with experience who can sub on the 3rd pairing and the 2nd for short periods.

The log jam will be on the left. Markov and Beaulieu are a lock, Emelin will be too. Then Tinordi and Barberio will be the depth player on the left side. I could see the Habs trading Emelin if he would waive his NMC, and I think he would, for the right situation.

Habfan17

• Kooch7800 says:

Gilbert was also very good in the playoffs. He takes more flack than he deserves

• Haberoooo13 says:

I don’t want Gilbert traded, I just think he is the likely candidate to get something in return.

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

• Habfan17 says:

Given the emphasis that Bergevin gives on depth on defence, I doubt he would trade Gilbert. I see Emelin if Barberio and Tinordi show that would be a solid 3/4 on the left side and due to his cap hit.
        I don’t disagree that Gilbert may bring something in a trade.

I think if Bergevin does not want to move any defence, then, depending on what happens in camp, I do see the potential for DD or another centre to be moved.

Habfan17

• Forum Dog says:

If Pateryn is ready, Gilbert will definitely be moved before the trade deadline.

I also think Bergevin will use the first few months of the season to figure out the centre position, specifically whether they keep Plekanec or Eller. I’ll be very surprised if Galchenyuk does not finish 2015-16 as a centre.

They have tradeable assets no matter how you cut it.

• Haberoooo13 says:

I just don’t want two defensemen in the pressbox and I don’t really see any of them clearing waivers either.

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

• Habfan17 says:

Agreed if the defencemen were to be Tinordi and Pateryn. I would be okay with Gilbert and Barberio. That is why Emelin being the odd man out makes sense, unless at training camp, it is apparent that Tinordi has not progressed.

Habfan17

• Haberoooo13 says:

I’d be very surprised if coach is on board with Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn all playing.

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

35. HabFab says:

At the Team USA tournament yesterday, Lukas Vejdemo had an assist and a penalty in Sweden’s 5-2 victory over Team Blue. Right now the Swedes are playing the Team White in the 2nd period and losing 3-0.

36. B says:

Wow, 27 goal scorer (48 points) Hoffman only awarded 1 year $2M in arbitration.

–Go Habs Go!–

37. Un Canadien errant says:

Noah Juulsen was interviewed by Blake Price of TSN 1040 at the WJC summer camp in Calgary.

———————————————————————–
    Free Antonio Gates!

38. Paz says:

Jays’ Price reminds me of Habs’ Price,

Smart. Competitive. But also humble and respectful.

Great athletes, Great role models!

• johnnyhockeylarue says:

I’m gonna go with that website’s earlier assertion that Plekanec was traded right after the Habs were eliminated from the playoffs.

The reason it hasn’t been publicly confirmed yet is that Bergevin is still putting together the right jacket/shirt/tie combo for the accompanying press conference. The announcement should come as soon as all of MB’s sartorial ducks are in a row.

• Phil C says:

Isn’t nice to have to worry about losing talent on waivers? This hasn’t been a problem for the Habs in a long time. A sign MB is doing a good job.

39. S13 says:

hi guys! I’ll stay away from the chucky bashing for now. i actually like the guy lol.

Don’t you guys think leadership is overrated?? Heard a lot of Toews this and Toews that during the playoffs but would he be able to anything with let’s say buffalo’s roster last season?? take out gionta and put in Toews there. Doubt it would change much.

Benefitting from the team happens everywhere. Crawford is not as good as some of the others in the league but he has more rings already than most and more $$ than most of us fans.

All the media hype about messier being the best captain ever but he didn’t do much in Vancouver if I remember. not sure they even made the playoffs.

Here’s something else I’ve noticed. we fans seem to have a collective fear that all our players are going to be the next Leclair. Leclair was rarity. Doesn’t happen often. As good as he was, I think playing with Lindros had a huge factor in him scoring that many goals.

• frontenac1 says:

Leadership comes in many packages amigo. For me, The ‘Tits Brothers clearly exemplify the true spirit of “The Walkabout”. I try my best to follow their lead.

40. Paz says:

Jays look like a playoff team to me.

41. veryhabby says:

Disagree that 9 nhl ready dmen means a trade before season’s start.

Players can be sent down/cut from training camp, and NOT go thru waivers. Waivers happen after the season starts.

So really it’s a battle for the #7 spot. Tin and Barb both want to make the Habs out of camp. I don’t see that happening.

Injuries always happen, so we will need the depth. If a dman is traded during the season, it will be to improve the team. But going into the season no NEED to trade due to numbers. It’s good depth and competition

• Cal says:

Barberio is experience for St.John’s, unless he outplays Tinordi badly.

• Paz says:

I’ve been reading that here. UCE has posted the same thing.

Barberio is 25 years old. He ripped up the AHL for 3 years already.

I happen to know his family.

He agreed to sign a two way contract because he was so excited to play for the Habs, not to play in St John’s.

There are many teams interested in him.

He’s not “Drewiske”.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for that Ed but Nate, PK, Markov, Petry, Pateryn, Emelin, Gilbert, Tinordi……. which two does he surpass?

• Paz says:

The 6’1″, 199-pound defenceman was not re-signed by the Lightning due to financial reasons, according to Steve Yzerman. “We love Mark Barberio.”

I see Barberio as a perfect number 7/8 on this team.

I don’t know how it will shake out.

But I disagree with people who think he’s going to pass through waivers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not discounting his talent and your evaluation Ed, it’s good to hear that you think he can help the team.

The financial reasons offered by Steve Yzerman to not sign him are a little feeble though. The Canadiens signed him to a very affordable two-way contract, it’s not like the Lightning would have had to break the bank to re-sign him.

This reminds me of the Canadiens choosing not to qualify Yannick Weber. They didn’t want to pay him a million and let him walk as a UFA, then the Canucks swooped in and got him at a bargain 600 grand.

In both cases, the original team probably would have liked to keep their player, not a useless player by any means, but counting their pennies and with waivers and other considerations, chose to cut ties.

When Dean Lombardi said he loved Mike Richards, he put his money where his mouth is; I believe him. When Steve Yzerman says it, it’s like when Marc Bergevin thanks a player he’s just traded for his services to the organization. Thanks, but we’re moving on.

• Cal says:

He’s still #8 or #9 and likely won’t make the opening day roster.

• Paz says:

Not sure.

I think Gilbert will be moved before the season starts. That’s 2.8 million sitting in the stands. Way too much money for a number 7, and Pateryn is just as good if not better already.

Once Gilbert moves the team has 8 dmen.

• B says:

13.2 The “Playing Season Waiver Period” shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club’s Playing Season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

This is a technicality that trips up many of us. Waivers begin when the season starts, there’s a specific date in the rules that stipulate when that is. It’s usually during training camp. Before then, you can’t send someone down to the AHL, so you can’t ‘sneak’ someone down before then, before “the season starts”. That’s not how it works, that’s not why the rule was bargained into the CBA.

This waiver rule was put in to allow pros who can’t crack the NHL roster in a strong organization to have a career somewhere else in the NHL. That’s not such a big problem anymore, but in the olden days, you had teams like the Kansas City Scouts or the Detroit Red Wings that were putrid, while the Canadiens had various Rod Langways and Bill Nyrops in their system that could help them. So the waiver rules were put in to equalize the talent, to promote parity, and to allow a young player to not get lost in the AHL while he could very well play in the NHL if he’d been drafted by a weaker team.

So there isn’t a technicality, a loophole written in that allows you to ‘hide’ players in the AHL. That’s not the intent of the rule, and the NHLPA wouldn’t have been on board.

Think of it this way: when the players all report to training camp, everyone is on an NHL roster, without exception. Then the ‘league year’ begins. As training camps and exhibition games proceed, teams start cutting players off the roster, with some going down to junior, some going down to the AHL training camp. The older prospects who have accumulated enough seniority and are now eligible to waivers have to pass through to land in the AHL. There’s no escape clause.

There are some strategies teams can use to sneak their players down. The Canucks last year sent down Jacob Markstrom very early in camp, when other teams were still churning through their own prospects, trying to figure out their own rosters. That, combined with the fact that he had a one-way contract, and a relatively high salary, allowed the Canucks to send him to Utica unclaimed.

But the fact is, the waivers rule do what they were intended to do. The Canucks have preyed on teams in trouble with this area, getting Linden Vey from the Kings and Sven Baertschi from the Flames in exchange for second-round picks. Vancouver got a player who’s ready for the NHL or nearly so in their estimation, the other teams got value for their asset instead of just losing them outright on waivers, and the players got to start their NHL careers. Win win win.

• S13 says:

i think a trade will happen around mid season. a few weeks before the deadline. other than his size he doesn’t have much going for him. he didn’t even dominate the AHL. if Iinordi can play limited minutes, Emelin probably gets traded as a cap move

would love to see Tinordi get his chance but he has got to stop looking for hits and get into fights for every little thing that happens on the ice. he’s no goon. we all wish he’s the next chara but he didn’t get into fights to prove he belonged in the nhl.

• Phil C says:

Even if they cut them in training camp before the season starts, if they are waiver eligible, they have to go through waivers. This is to protect the players from teams stockpiling talent. So someone is either traded or on the waiver wire, maybe even two. They normally carry only 7 defensemen.

42. Haberoooo13 says:

Oldtime baseball

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

43. UKRAINIANhab says:

Remember the Gorges for Franson trade, and how everyone was mad Josh didn’t accept the deal… Well thank goodness Josh didn’t accept that deal because that means we probably don’t end up with Petry.

Franson is still unsigned and was so overhyped by the TO media it was incredible. He was a healthy scratch in Nashville.

Petry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Franson

44. FormalWare says:

OK (O! K!)
    Blue Jays (Blue! Jays!)
    Let’s (Let’s!)
    Play (Play!)
    BALL!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

45. shiram says:

@NHLhistorygirl
    “Don’t tell my husband, but I’m actually a Leafs fan.” –Maria Subban, mother of P.K. (husband is a longtime Habs fan)

_________________________________________

46. Haberoooo13 says:

As much as the GM likes defensive depth, I think the Habs will make one more move before the regular season begins.
    There are 9 NHL capable bodies on defense now: PK, Markov, Emelin, Petry, Nate, Gilbert, Pateryn, Tinordi, Barberio.
    Barring injuries, there should only be 7 with the Habs and I believe every one of them must go through waivers to be sent to the A.
    Gilbert: as the most likely to leave. Solid player that other teams will give some value.
    Barberio: Not really any trade value
    Emelin: Contract will be tough to deal.
    Tinordi and Pateryn: Habs won’t “get rid” of them, so it would be part of a bigger trade (not a blockbuster, but a significant deal).

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

• B says:

Barring a trade, I can see them going with 8 D and 13 Fwds on the opening game roster.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Haberoooo13 says:

I can see that also, just don’t like that there will be 2 D (probably young D) sitting.

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

• Habfan17 says:

Habfan17

47. HabFab says:

Notes in regards to Waivers that some may not know;

– player has to stay up playing in the NHL with his new team or
    – if they want to send him down to the AHL, he must go thru waivers again
    – after first being offered back to the original team he was claimed off waivers from

48. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal

Congrats to former Habs defenseman Mathieu Schneider. He’s headed to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

EDIT: And another Hab player chased out of town.

49. Cal says:

We’ve certainly reached the dog days of summer. Something like 4 weeks until training camp and the roster is pretty much set.
    Now, it’s time to wait. While we wait, here’s some Tom Petty.

• Mike D says:

I’m hoping MB still has a move or two left in him. We actually have too many NHL caliber players on the roster (which isn’t a bad thing necessarily), that either quality players or youngsters who need some ice-time will have to sit.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Cal says:

Nothing left to do until training camp. Unfortunately, it appears Bergevin is content with the same #1 and 2 centers that keep stalling the Habs’ progress to the Cup.
        This will be a “step back” year unless changes are made at center.

• Slack says:

What do you suggest? That’s very much easier said than done…

• NightRyder says:

You meant “Staal-ing” the progress, right?

• Slack says:

Also what makes you think Bergevin is content with his current #1 and #2?? And finally, are our centres really the one thing keeping us from winning a cup?

• NightRyder says:

DD is the root cause of every problem, real or imagined, on and off the ice.
            Where have you been?

• Slack says:

Yeah, you’re right…

My bike got a flat this morning… I’m gonna mail the bill to DD.

• Hobie says:

One thing I will say about that Slack…

I’m not saying it’s easy to do, in fact it’s extremely difficult, but if you were to add a 75 point, 6’2″, centerman, who plays well at both end of the ice, The Habs are as good or better than anyone in the East.

Does that guarantee you a Stanley cup, no. It does make you as good as anyone in the East though.

The Habs were missing one top line player, most likely a certerman, during the playoffs this season.

• Slack says:

I agree Hobie, But how do you go about getting this mythical centre? You lose a key player or you blue up the team…

• Cal says:

Actually, Slack, yes, they are.
            We’ve seen what they can do for 3 straight playoffs and the answer is: NOT MUCH.
            Both Pleks and DD are in a position to fail. Ideally, Pleks is your #3 center and DD is 3rd line winger. Not moving them means more of the same. It’s not likely they will start playing like #1 and #2 centers should (on a good team with aspirations for the playoffs).

• Slack says:

Great link!!

• Paz says:

Bennett just completed his first year as a pro.

He’s got the skating, the puck movement, the smarts, the work ethic, and the leadership that NHL teams look for in defenceman.

I believe he can pass Emelin this year.

50. Mavid says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

51. rhino514 says:

Cristian Thomas and Barberio are both waiver eligible.
    Don´t see Cristian as a high end prospect (I like his attitude and work ethis, though), but it looks like he will eithher clear or he will be picked up by somebody.
    As for the Barberio, doesn´t this mean there will probably be a trade involving one of the defensemen before the season? The habs won´t want to lose him for nothing.
    With Semin and Kassian in the fold, it´s likely the trade would be a minor one involving prospects, seems to me, hence the probability of getting something substantial for, let´s say,Gilbert is slim. Emelin is probably here to stay because of his NTC, at least for this season.
    Conversely, I think most of us on here are still optimistic about Tinordi long term and hope whatever deal happens does involve the big lug.
    Would we even be able to get a 7th rounder for Barberio ?(after all, we got him for nothing)
    I´m curious as to what will go down before the start of the season.

• Habfan17 says:

I have wondered if Bergevin would make at least one more move, most likely a trade of a defenceman.

I would say, left side, Markov and Beaulieu are not going anywhere.
      Right side, PK and Petry are not going anywhere, and I would say neither is Pateryn. For the cap hit, I like having Gilbert around for depth on the right side.

Tinordi is a guess at this point. He needs to clear waivers, so, if the Habs feel he is not ready, something could happen with him. Barberio could be a solid depth player for the left side and is cap friendly. Problem is, he does not add much of a physical presence.

I would, if he would do waive his NMC , trade Emelin. There are a couple of UFA left D still available that could add depth at a more cap friendly hit.

In the end, once camp is over, there will still be some players that will need to clear waivers to be sent down. I do believe only one player from each team can be claimed when teams are finished training camp. I guess it is possible that some players may get traded if Bergevin feels one of them will be claimed but he isn’t sure which one. I am also not sure who may be exempt due to age and or number of NHL games played.

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

There is no limit to how many players a team can lose to waivers. You’re possibly confusing this process with the expansion draft process in previous years, which won’t apply this year.

The factor that is important here is the 23-player roster. You can keep that many players on your active roster to start camp, then everyone else needs to be sent back to junior, or the minors, and go through waivers if they’re eligible.

Bookmark the link below for easy reference on who needs waivers:

• Un Canadien errant says:

What’s more likely is that Mark Barberio could be traded in-season, when teams suffer a rash of injuries, or find that players they counted on to guard their blue line aren’t ready yet, or can’t handle the job anymore. Early on, after training camp, when everyone is flush with prospects and youngsters and hope, I think he’ll sail through waivers and land in Hamilton, where we need talent and experience on defence and lefties.

52. rhino514 says:

It would be great if Desharnais could play wing. In fact, it would be great if Eller or Plekanec could play wing. But the truth is the first two definitely can´t and the latter will never be tried there.
    Some say DD did well in his short stint on the wing, but that isn´t really so. He was on a bit of a goal scoring streak before the move, and popped a couple of goals during his first couple of games on the wing. but after that, his point production pretty much disappeared for the rest of the stint.
    in fact, it´s the reason he didn´t notch 50 points this time around.

There is simply no easy way out of the centre logjam, and there hasn´t been for 2 or 3 years now. Eller isn´t going anywhere (I was incredibly happy when he got a four year deal). Desharnais still has two years left on his contract. Plekanec has one year left on his contract, but IMO his loss would be a big blow to the leadership core, not to mention he´s still productive and isn´t slowing down yet perceptibly; so I think he will be re-upped.
    The centre situation is a double whammy because I´m convinced Eller is a top six centre, or at least more deservedly so than one of DD or Pleks. So to me the two most skilled centres on the team are not playing top six.
    I disagree that the habs absolutely can´t win as evidenced by their 110 point season and with just a little break here or there could have gone to the Finals the past two postseasons. It´s just the optics on the team, really. Galchenyuk is still productive on the wing and Eller is still valuable in his role.
    But if you give Galchenuk a guy like Pacioretty, I think he becomes a sixty point guy right away and you´d see his game grow faster with each passing season; Quite possibly, he becomes one of the league´s best centres.
    If you give Eller Pacioretty or two decent top six wingers, he at least matches DD´s point totals but he would also impede quite a few more goals and probably produce even more off of the forecheck.

• Hobie says:

Staal, Eric CAR C UFA 2016
      Kopitar, Anze LA C UFA 2016
      Stamkos, Steven TB C UFA 2016
      Backes, David STL C UFA 201

• Mike D says:

I like your optimism, but I have to disagree with you on a couple points.

Primarily, that the Habs were a “little break here or there” from going to the Finals the past two years. They weren’t. This team can’t score. More importantly, while this team used to struggle against the goon-type teams and countered that by becoming a fast team, they now struggle against other fast teams, especially teams that are even faster, with good goaltending, and better offense and possession – namely TBL and NYR. It’s not a coincidence that both those teams knocked us out of the playoffs and seem to have our number during the reg. season too. Some attribute the loss to NYR in 2014 to Carey being injured, but I think we were clearly outplayed and likely would have lost anyway.

I love this team, but we have real issues to address if we want more than to just “hope” someone else knocks out teams we struggle against, or that they suffer injuries to key players like Bishop in 2014.

We NEED to address the logjam at Center because none of the current guys are good enough. Chucky might be, but until they really give him a shot there, we won’t know. DD is too small and predictable and doesn’t bring any other elements if he can’t produce offense so he’s my choice to go…..if you can find a taker for him.

MT needs to adjust his system to one that allows for more creativity and puck possession. We CAN’T score and our PP is a joke despite having excellent personnel to play it. Dump and chase does not work for this team and we need to be less defensively oriented (we’re not that good at it anyway but thank God for Carey).

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habs_54321 says:

ellers game is suited to play wing (a big body that likes to control the puck in the corners) hes just not good enough to be in a scoring role the number of times he was given a chance on the wing with plekanec he failed miserably

53. Timo says:

Oh yay… elections. Is it going to be as exciting as July 1 UFA thing?

54. Habitant in Surrey says:

I was just laying on My couch trying to nap, as I feel physically tired from a bike ride I had taken with My daughter Venus.

Usually, especially lately, I have no problem nodding off.

But there I was opened eyed, wired, and counting the flies and cracks on the ceiling. There was one fly and no cracks, so the ‘counting’ sped by real quick.

Recounting and recounting assured Me there was no reason to count above ONE !

So, finally, I went to visit Youze Guyz in HIO. I read down to the bottom of all comments on the top page of this thread. Every comment covered every known aspect, outside those His parents have failed to share with Us, about David Desharnais, Esq..

Wouldn’t Y’all know, My eyes FINALLY have glazed-over, expelled the largest yawn in many dayz and nights, –and, as soon as I finish My blurb, this sleepy soul is ready for a long sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzz beddy-bye time 🙂

55. The Jackal says:

K so is MT still the coach or what?

56. knob says:

I see a lot of talk about our boy DD and a bit about the power play.

On the power play: the power play is one dimensional. Get the puck to the point and shoot. I think MT watches too much Coaches Corner. I also don’t like set plays. The PP needs to be free flowing, with players constantly moving around. The players need to be creative.

DD: I do think that he is a legitimate top nine NHL player but limited to the type of philosophy the team has. Some teams prefer a third line for secondary scoring, some teams use the third line in a defensive role. DD can play third line Centre with a team that uses a third line in an active offensive role. Top six I think he is limited to a line two left winger. The best spot for him on this team is in the second line lw. Otherwise I don’t think he really is good for the team.

• S13 says:

Let’s give Subban the DD treatment.

Subban, $9M and so static on the powerplay. Only looking for the shot just like DD looks only for Mpac. Couldn’t do much to get our PP working again. When will he learn if a guy is just in front of you , most probably he will block the shot. He must only be on the team because he is black because montreal does have a diverse population (Just like DD is there because he’s quebecois).

See how silly you guys sound at times??

PS: Just so you know I’m probably more melanin gifted than most here before you accuse me of racism. Playing PTM and MBHL over the years in the 514, I’ve had my fair share of taunts. I’ve already been called DD today 🙂

• Habfan17 says:

Don’t know what games you watch, but you need to check again! There is a huge difference between what Pk and DD bring and their $ bear that out!

It is not PK’s fault that the coach forces them to pass around the outside on the PP to set him or Markov up for the shot, occasionally letting Markov slip down to sneak in behind the play.

PK is still among the tops in most categories for D-Men, not so DD.

Habfan17

• S13 says:

i know he is but for $3.5M and 45 points DD is pretty good for nhl standards these days. although they don’t play 1st line. i understand that he’s not an elite centre but maybe 2nd and third line centre or winger. i would have love to have a getzlaf or a crosby but those are hard to come by.

i’m just saying that for $9M, he should quarterback the PP much much better. when it comes to PK or Galchenyuk .. it’s the coach or his system. When it comes to the frenchie…it’s him.

Blame MT all you want, but MT can’t put him on a leash like he did a few years ago. he’d be out of a job. we’re all stuck in 2012 fi we think he’d still do that. pK’s legit now.

hard to go against the grain and say anything against a fan favorite. he’s no zubov or karlsson or even markov when it comes to controlling the PP. Blame the coach all you want but players on the ice also rely on instinct. PK shoots recklessly on the PP. that’s a fact. if DD kept doing the same thing from the side…how many here would be on his case???

that’s the point i’m making. criticize everybody and fairly. don’t pick and choose based on size, $ value, likability and ethnicity.

• knob says:

Not going to accuse you of racism. Nice try though. I am not really sure what your post has to do with my post, to be honest.

I acknowledged that DD is a top nine player but a second line left-winger, on this team anyway. My comment makes no reference about where he was born or what his natural language is.

My PP comment made no specific mention of DD. I do agree with you that PK, amongst others need to be more creative and quick-thinkers with the puck. The real question is this: Is the PP lame for systemic reasons or because of personnel?

• S13 says:

it was nothing personal. apologize if you think that way. i just saw DD and PP and thought i’d speak up. not sure how this boards work much. kind of new to this. sporadically posted over the years.

i’ve read many leblanc would not have been drafted if he were not french posts here and elsewhere over the years. so yes, some people here do look at it like that. of course , in this day and agge or politically correctness, they won’t say it out loud but we know this exists.

drafting is rarely accurate. do you really think the detroit red wings said you know what we’ll pick datsyuk and zetterberg in the later rounds and pick these guys who will never make the nhl first???

57. Habfan17 says:

As a continuation to the discussion between UCE and Marc10;

I think a lot of the sub par performances on the PP are due to the deployment and system, rather than the players themselves.

In the end, the coach is the boss and if he says to a player, you must stay within this area on the ice, then they do. If he says shoot the puck in and waste time and energy trying to get it back, rather than have the coaches work out entries to counter specific defences, then they do it.

With all the video available, I would think that the coaches, at least when preparing for the new season, could see the defence tactics used by other teams, and the successful teams on the PP, and come up with a few options for the players so they can be more successful.

This is when DD should be able to contribute more. Galchenyuk, Markov, PK, Patches, and Pleks should be able to do more. It is conceivable that, one, or two players can have off nights during the same game, but all 5 on the ice all the majority of the games, no way!

Habfan17

• Phil C says:

Player deployment is also a big part of the coach’s role, so if the wrong players are on the ice, that’s on the coach as well. I’ve never been a big fan of DD and Gallagher on the first wave, both have two years of poor individual results, yet there they are every time.

You could also question playing Markov and Subban together, both have had the most success on the left point in the past. Given that they have been missing a RH sniper up front, that might have been a place to try Subban. There has been very little creativity from the coaching staff these past two seasons wrt the PP.

• Marc10 says:

I’d expect the powerplay to be much more successful this year, if only because the boys have more options than the ‘pass it back to PK for the one timer’ strategy from last year.

Opponents had it easy. Markov no longer shoots or pinches in as much as he once did. GonCHar was old and could no longer beat goalies clean from the point. Patches is covered. Gally can only do so much. Chucky turns it over. Pleky loses faceoffs. DD only passes but had no options… and everyone knew that PK was the one you needed to worry about.

Enter Petry and Semin. That should shake things up. Now you need to cover four players. Heck if Chucky joins the fray and can win a faceoff in the o-zone, you’d have five potential shooters. That’s much harder to defend against.

58. habs_54321 says:

how is sylvain lefebvre still listed as head coach of the ice caps? his record is absolutely terrible in terms of wins and developement of players

59. S13 says:

Funny how we pick and choose who we need to whine about. some guys here just got nothing to do. let’s give the same treatment to some others.

one could easily say subban is the reason our powerplay sucks. but people are afraid to say anything because he’s the fan favourite at the moment. for $9M, i think he should control the PP better than $3.5M Desharnais. all he does is look for a one-timer or shoot recklessly.

Galchenyuk should replace Desharnais. I wish this were true too but is Galchenyuk really all we make him out to be?? i mean if you think about it , if he needs to play centre ( or as i see it play with with Maxpac) to put up more points, he’s just a taller , more hyped/liked version of desharnais. chucky plays on a much better team and still had ONLY 20 more points approximately in 3 seasons that Yakupov. Once Yakupov had a better centre…he actually outscored galchenyuk almost 2:1 in the last 30 games of the season. that’s says a lot about our future HOF centre.

I can make up more if you need lol.

• jrshabs1 says:

Go Habs Go!!!!!

• piper says:

A taller version of Desharnais? You do know that Galchenyuk is only 21?

• Vito says:

Dear David,
      Firstly, didn’t know you were a member on HIO…
      Secondly, I wish you would try shooting the puck more often instead of putting down a 21 year old kid.

Cheers,

Canada IS hockey!
      -Mike Weir

• S13 says:

Hilariously now he’s 21 year old kid?? Make up your mind. 1st line Savior or too young?? I wish he breaks out like Seguin did because that would help tremendously but he’s no Seguin. I want the Habs to win too as much as the next guy here but come on. sometimes things fans say in here…

Numbers show he’s not much better than Yakupov other than +/- which has a lot to do with Price in nets. He was -8 or 9 last season I think. Yakupov was asked to be a checking grinder, not learn to play better defensively on the second line and he’s about 7 points per season. The guy shoots better, skates faster and dangles just as good but honestly sometimes I have doubts fans here even watch the Habs enough to let alone know about other teams.

• S13 says:

btw vito who are you supposed to be?? chucky’s new agent?? his dad?? larionov did warn me about you lol.

• Vito says:

S13, I was just having some fun…
          To answer your questions:
          – yes he is 21 according to his birth certificate
          – first line saviour? Way too early to tell but I’m sure we all hope so!
          – comparing him to yak is pointless as we did not have the luxury of choice, Edm did
          – I’m Chucky’s brother, I visit all forums to pump his tires * tongue in cheek*

Finally, I don’t dislike DD, but I hate the way we use him on our team and until proven otherwise I believe any of Pleks, Eller or Chucky can do better on 1st line centre in the playoffs.

Canada IS hockey!
          -Mike Weir

60. punkster says:

We’ve seen all sorts of opposing camps face off on HIO over the years…Grumbly Gomezians versus Gushing Gaineyites…Koivuian Supporters versus Giontaian Adherents…Pro- and Ludditian Statisticians…Pro- and Anti- Bergevinians…Anti and, well, REALLY ANTI Gauthierlites…and the most famous of all, Pricebots versus Halaktites.

The DD thing?

Meh…suivant… NEXT!

Release the Subbang!!!

• Paz says:

Moving Galchenyuk to center and replacing Desharnais is not an important issue?

• S13 says:

The same Galchenyuk who has 20 more points as a winger than Yakupov did in Edmonton in THREE SEASONS?? Really??? If Galchenyuk needs to play centre (take advantage of Maxpac’s goal scoring) to get more points he’s just a taller version of DD.

• JohnInTruro says:

Every player on MTL would take advantage of playing with Max and would get more points. What type of response to Ed is that?

• JohnInTruro says:

You’re going to need do better than that bud. At least I’m on the map.

• S13 says:

Ed??

Point I was making is why is OK for chucky to play with Max and not DD. Chucky hasn’t done much. A majority of us Habs fans will say Yakupov’s a bust. Yet our boy wonder has 20 points more in 3 years in a much much better team. Sure we can laugh about yakupov’s +/- but Galchenyuk was a -9 i think last year with Price in Nets. That’s like a -80 in Edmonton lol

Either we’re all blind or afraid to admitb he’s not much better than Yakupov. That was my point. I still honestly think Yak’s gonna be better. He stickhandles as good, skates faster and can shoot much better. Chucky passes brtter though.

I wish he breaks through like Seguin did but doubt it.

• punkster says:

More important than any of the above?

Not really. Each version of this organization has had its controversies and issues over the years. Most have worked themselves out over time.

I’ll bet 1,2 or 3 years from now it just won’t matter.

Release the Subbang!!!

61. Paz says:

One last point about Commandant’s post below concerning Desharnais.

He concedes that the best place for Desharnais in this lineup is as a THIRD LINE left winger, for goodness sakes.

All this time, for months and months, Desharnais supporters have been arguing that Desharnais is most definitely a top 6 center by NHL standards.

Now, Commandant not only switches Desharnais to the wing, a move the player, the coach, and all of his supporters have never conceded, Commandant also relegates Desharnais to the 3rd line.

I wonder if Commandant would agree that Desharnais should be replaced on the power play as well, because 3rd line players do NOT play power play for Therrien. Therrien uses his 3rd line in a defensive role once the Habs power play is completed.

So, yes, I’m fine with the idea that Desharnais plays 3rd line left wing, and removed from the power play.

Last year I suggested exactly the same position for him.

We all agree!

Desharnais should not play top 6.
    Desharnais should not be a center.
    As a 3rd line left winger, he will not play power play.

Now we can move on and not argue so much about Desharnais as a top 6 center.

We all agree with Comnandant, and we all agree that Desharnais should be moved to 3rd line left wing.

(I still maintain that the coach will not agree. He does not want to move Desharnais away from the top 6, and he wants him at center. That’s why I concluded that Desharnais must be trAded.)

• The Jackal says:

We may have to ultimately agree to disagree, but I do think a lot of what you and commandant said is true. That being said, no one here defending DD is saying that he is an “elite #1 centre” or even in the conversation when it comes to saying who a #1 is. What we are saying is that A) his point production is congruent with a top 6 forward, that’s a fact – also, he’s done well in his role in the top 6, that’s also a fact; B) that it’s false to assume that DD is cemented in that role because of some fictitious fixation MT has – he’s a useful player and if a better centre comes along, the team (as has been shown in the past, thus inferring from a factual pattern) will make the appropriate moves to accommodate said new, better centre.

Basically, DD is a good player who can do well (and has done well) in the top 6. He can also contribute from the wing on the third line or again, in the top 6. This is not speculation, we’ve seen it and it’s worked. What’s BS is when assertions are made regarding his usage, and why his usage is how it is. In the long run, the team may indeed be better with him on the wing, but he’s done well in his current role, and won’t hurt the team by remaining there if there aren’t any better options – that’s what’s frustrating is that that important piece of information gets overlooked just to bash DD.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ed, you may be overstating things. For example, I’ve been supportive of David and have replied to posts that I think go overboard in condemning him, but I’m not arguing that he “is most definitely a top 6 center by NHL standards”. In fact, I clearly stated and re-posted a few times that, after another playoffs where both he and Tomas demonstrated futility for the most part, that we needed to upgrade our centre position in the Top 6, and that practically that would/should probably mean trading Tomas and doing the best we can with David.

These positions are not mutually exclusive. You can like the player, appreciate the effort and heart and successes, but also, at the same time, think we don’t measure up to Crosby and Malkin, or Getzlaf and Kesler. I really like Brandon Prust, was sorry to see him go, but understand and support the Zack Kassian trade.

These contradictory positions are held on a multitude of aspects by fans of every team. “I can’t stand Dany Heatley but he’s an important part of my team so I’ll tolerate him and cheer when he scores.” “I don’t think Russian players care enough about the Stanley Cup, they want a World Championship or Olympic medal more, but my (Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Bure, Alex Kovalev) is an exception.”

Same as when I castigate Michel Therrien detractors, maybe I’m tarring all of them with a broad brush, of being too negative and intolerant, whereas some of well-reasoned, objective, cogent arguments against him, you may be exaggerating the position of “Desharnais defenders”. We can accept that he has flaws and blind spots, but feel that sorties like Jols’ diatribe earlier today are off-base and go way too far.

• Marc10 says:

Well said UCE. I’m guilty of tarring the other side on occasion (ie, the DD/MT hate brigade… probably because they don’t do nuance either…) It’s a vicious circle.

If DD is to be demoted, one of two things has to happen. Either we get a UFA to come in or one of Chucky or Eller has to take his spot. Simples.

I do think Chucky has the tools to overtake DD. He’s had his opportunities, on the powerplay for example, but he hasn’t sealed the deal yet. He needs to take it. If DD sucks so bad, it should be relatively easy for him. Time for him to step up and solve that problem for the team.

Eller just doesn’t generate enough offensively. He nearly lost his job to a 19-yearold who can barely score last year for Pete’s sake. Case closed. He’s good in the playoffs though. Gotta love that.

For my money, I’d love to see Eller and DD on the same line again. I don’t know why that experiment ended so quickly. DD finds open guys and Eller can shoot and create space. I don’t know the internal politics there (other than Eller insisted on playing centre), but you could tell DD’s body language wasn’t great, even though he got Eller producing again. I thought that line had the ingredients to be successful. If Eller could play wing, it would be even better.

• Habfan17 says:

I think a lot of the sub par performances on the PP are due to the deployment and system, rather than the players them selves.

In the end, the coach is the boss and if he says to a winger, you must stay within this area on the ice, then they do. If he says shoot the puck in and waste time and energy trying to get it back, rather than work out entries to counter specific defences, then they do it.

Habfan17

• Commandant says:

In fairness I could have just as easily put Desharnais as the second line LW. I merely wanted him on a line with two big bodies in Eller and Weise/DSP.

I could have gone…..

Max – Plek – Semin
      DD – Chuck – Gallagher
      DLR – Eller – Kassian
      Weise – Mitchell – DSP

The point was that DD would be better off at LW.

Whether he is or isn’t on the PP… thats another debate, but it depends on who else is being put out there on the unit. Right now our PP problems come more from coaching, philosophy and system than from the players deployed on the unit.

Go Habs Go!

62. fastfreddy says:

I think most fans here are not DD haters, whereas, they dislike the way DD is used, or should I say, the situations he is used. Now doesn’t that fall on the coaching staff? And yes, I also agree that DD does not stink, he’s useful, just not as your #1 centre.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

63. Mr_MacDougall says:

Oh DD…. What is he?

I’ll make some statements that I think are undeniable.

1) he is a one dimensional player, that dimension is offence… Playmaking more specifically.

2) he is a liability defensively and often fails to make a play in the D zone.

3) despite being a one dimensional player, his offensive output is average.

4) DD is a poor player on the PP as defending teams hone in on him because he is a player that loses many 1 on 1 puck battles.

5) no team can win a Championship with DD as a #1 or #2 C.

Having said all that, I like DD. He makes some exciting plays, and was pivotal in the progression of Patch. He seems like a genuinely decent person, a guy that’s easy to cheer for.

I’m not a DD hater, I think he could be valuable in a bottom 6 role with 10-14 minutes per game, maybe move him to the wing with Eller. I hope he is still a Hab when the team peaks, I have a soft spot for all the Habs that went through the Pierre Gautier debacle with class, and DD is definitely on that list.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Paz says:

I’m not a Desharnais hater at all. I have often posted here how much more aggressive he played on the wing, how he shot more often from the wing, and that I liked his play there.

But as long as Desharnais is on the roster, he will play center, and the coach will be more than happy to justify using him there five on five and on the power play.

I think that’s a fact, not an opinion.

• The Jackal says:

I don’t disagree that he isn’t all that, and I do think that he is good at wing, and could be moved there with no problem to make room for another centre. I just disagree with the statements that claim that DD will always play #1 centre, blah blah blah. That’s not true. He earned that role, and has done well. The Habs aren’t handcuffing themselves to a player just because some other outlandish claim about how the coach wants to use him. If it helps the team, the move will happen. Right now though, the team has been better off with him at centre. That can change, it’s not set in stone that he will ever only play centre (plus the reasoning behind it is wrong).

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let me deny this point:

5) no team can win a Championship with DD as a #1 or #2 C.

Neal-Crosby-Benn
      Pacioretty-Desharnais-Séguin
      D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Byfuglien
      Hagelin-Bergeron-Weise

Keith-Seabrook
      Markov-Subban
      Beaulieu-Petry

Price
      Halak

This team will win a Stanley Cup, and they might not lose a game in the playoffs.

Absolute statements are never impossible to deny.

64. ebk says:

taking a break from some mind numbing paperwork and the endless re-litigation of the merits of DD, I took a peek at the opening day roster in 2012/2013 and 2015/2016(projected)

Defence

Semin—Cole
    Kassian–Gionta
    Weise- Bourque
    Smith-Pelly — Armstrong
    Mitchell—- Prust
    Flynn— Moen

The improved depth and talent level of the bottom pairings and 3rd and 4th lines is quite evident.
    Team averaged 86 points a season before MB/MT and 106 the 3 years they have been in charge.
    The 2015 version looks much better than last years as well.

65. Paz says:

Commandant posts the following, in his words,

1) Desharnais is not a first line center

2) Desharnais benefits from Max

3) Desharnais should be moved to the wing

And the posters who have been freakin out for years that Desharnais is disrespected all stand up and cheer! They can’t believe their luck.

Commandant has repeated everything I’ve been posting here for 2 years, and he is cheered for it! Hooray!

Desharnais is not a first line center, he benefits from playing with Max, and he should be moved to the wing so that Galchenyuk can play center.

Why?

That’s the part that Commandant conveniently leaves out.

Why does Desharnais need to be moved to the wing?

Because the team will never win the Cup with him as the number one center. That’s why.

Do I hear any cheering from the Desharnais fans?

• JohnInTruro says:

Agreed Ed, and definitely not a first line center. I don’t have an issue with his contract, just his usage.

• The Jackal says:

I think this debate is getting out of hand. It’s not about Desharnais “fans” cheering about whatever, or the other way around. It’s about doing away with claims and absolute predictions about the Habs and DD (and every other scapegoat). Who says the Habs would never win a cup with DD as a #1 centre? If they had better scoring, which as you know, doesn’t have to come from the centre, but rather the wing, where the Habs are thinnest, they could certainly contend legitimately.

On top of that, people keep claiming that DD is the #1 centre. Who said that is the case? Pleks is the de facto #1, DD has a more confined role, and he does well therein, for a decent cap hit (look at what other 50+ scorers are going for these days). So, when people crap on DD with all these unsubstantiated assertions, it is frustrating because it goes against the facts, and really just shows a strong personal bias (note, not saying dislike) against said player. Which is fine, you don’t have to be a fan of every player, or think that every player on the team is good. But the memes about DD are baseless, and that’s what frustrates some posters.

I understand that some other posters may be frustrated when others don’t see DD as the anchor he ostensibly is, and in the end we can agree to disagree, but the bottom line is that DD is not the problem that some make him out to be. It’s fallacious to say that DD prevents the team from winning a cup, there’s just nothing behind that claim but pure opinion. If that’s your position, fine, but it’s not an accurate reflection of the situation, and it isn’t the big issue that it is made out to be by some.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JohnInTruro says:

Jackal no one needs to say he is the #1 center, he has been for the most part the #1 center. Most folks on here watch the games and look at the stats, he is most used as 1C.

• Paz says:

If you agreed with Commandant’s post, and you did below, then you agree with all of these points that he made.

Desharnaus is not a first line center. (By the way, the center who plays with Max on this team has been playing on the first line)

Desharnais has benefitted with playing next to Max. Of course he has. Everyone knows that.

Desharnais should be moved to the wing to make room at center for Galchenyuk. Exactly the point you could not understand that I made yesterday, remember?

You keep arguing against everyone about Desharnais, but you concede all of these points by agreeing with Commandant’s post.

I’m not concerned about being a Desharnais fan. I just want the best possible lineup out there so the Habs can compete for a Cup.